App Review {Phonological Awareness Lab}

I have teamed up with Smarty Ears for another fun review of one of their educational apps.  I recently reviewed Phonological Awareness Lab and let me tell you I absolutely LOVE it!!  It was seriously hard to find something I didn't like about it.  The app is for sale in the iTunes store for $13.99 which may seem high for an app but let me tell you there are so many activities in this app that the price is well worth it! (And Apple iTunes gift cards are always a great thing to put on your teacher wish list!) Here's what the icon looks like.
So, what is this app all about?  Let's take a little walk through it!
Here is the opening screen. To get started I chose "Select a Scientist". 

I made a character for myself since I was the only one using it right now.  You can choose an avatar or a student photo. Smarty Ears does not require a birthdate for this app like some of their others, yay!!  So, I got started right away!

Here's the page to select which type of activity you want your kiddos to work on.  I SO wish I had this in my classroom when I was teaching, it would make an AWESOME literacy center. Here's a peek inside each "room of the lab".






And one of the best parts of this app (as is common with all the Smarty Ears apps) they give you a wonderful student report that you can print or e-mail to keep data on the student. And yes, I was purposely getting them wrong so I could see a variation in the data. Who doesn't LOVE data, right?? ; )

All of the instructions are verbal since students are practicing their phonological skills.  As with all my app reviews here are my strengths and wishes! 


Let me say it was really hard to find a wish for this app.  I think it is WONDERFULLY done and as I said before I wish I had it when I was in the classroom to use as a literacy center. I will definitely be adding it to my list of educational apps for teachers, SLPs and parents.  So many of my kiddos needed practice with phonological awareness and this app is definitely engaging!
*Please note I was not paid for my review of this app but I was given the app for free to review.*

No comments

Post a Comment